Heart disease is the number one cause of death in the United States. When diagnosed with heart disease, most people understand at some level, lifestyle changes need to occur. This usually consists of assuring a nutrient dense diet, exercise (functionally of course!) and medication management is fairly par for the course.
When these interventions aren’t effective one can find themselves with medication doses increasing or a “more serious” medication is added to the mix. Despite everything you’ve been advised to do and HAVE been doing… Your heart health isn’t improving. Maybe your heart condition could improve and potentially even reverse if you address the CAUSE.
It’s quite natural to wonder, how would chiropractic care help heart disease? It’s for back pain issues… How does that have anything to do with the heart? In reality, it has EVERYTHING to do with your back.
The heart and blood vessels are connected to billions of nerves. These nerves send and receive messages within the central nervous system that control your heart rate and blood pressure – both of which are important factors when looking at the entire picture of determining one’s heart health. When a misalignment in the spine (subluxation) is corrected, the central nervous system is able to properly communicate and control automatic processes like heart rate and blood pressure – Once properly controlled this leads to:
1) Lower blood pressure – studies show a significant improvement in blood pressure when chiropractors adjust the 1st vertebra, called the Atlas.
2) Improves nerve function within the heart – this is called autonomic tone and impacts organ function in the body.
3) Decreases inflammation – the more inflammation in your body, the greater your risk of cardiovascular events like a heart attack. Adjustments relieve pressure on nerves and this decreases irritation and inflammation. In addition to specific and precise chiropractic care, don’t forget to take a quality Omega 3 supplement to decrease inflammation!
4) Improves heart rate variability – the more your heart rate increases and decreases with your own movements (sitting vs. walking), the longer you will live. This is having “good” heart rate variability (HRV). Many patients with severe heart disease have LOW heart rate variability.
5) Decrease in chest pain – Millions of emergency room visits for chest pain could actually be avoided by implementing chiropractic care in managing heart disease. Once a doctor determines the heart is not involved, seeing a chiropractor is imperative. Rib misalignment or thoracic vertebrae subluxation are all causes of chest pain and shortness of breath.
6) Improves lung function – Evidence shows chiropractic care to be very effective in treating conditions such as asthma and emphysema. As heart function depends on strong lung function, if chronic inflammatory lung problems are resolved with chiropractic care this increased lung performance leads to improvement in heart function.